Gaston County


128 W. Main Ave.
PO Box 1578
Gastonia, NC 28053-1578

Home > Departments > Tax Office > Collections Office > Collections FAQ

Tax Office

Collections Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q: If my mortgage company pays my property taxes through escrow, why do I receive the bill?
A:  Even though you have agreed to have your property taxes escrowed and paid through your mortgage company, we still mail the property tax bill to the correct owner.  Mortgage Companies generally request a file with all Gaston County Tax Bills; they then select the payments that they are responsible for.  To ensure your property taxes are paid timely, you may want to send a copy of your property tax bill with your next house payment.

Q: When are property taxes due?
A: For real estate, individual personal property, and business personal property, taxes are due September 1st for that current tax year. However, you can make prepayments prior to the bills coming out. These taxes will become delinquent after January 5th of the following year and subject to enforced collections efforts.  For registered motor vehicles, you will receive the tax amount on your registration renewal.  This is called a combined bill and is payable to NC DMV. Unlicensed vehicles should be listed as individual personal property by requesting Personal Listing and Instructions during the month of January.

Q. Even though I paid my property tax bill, I received a past due notice, why?
A.  If your property tax bill was paid coincidentally just before the delinquent tax notices are mailed, the payment may have been received after the file was sent for processing.  To avoid this situation, please make all property tax payments before the delinquent date arrives.  You may also receive a past due notice if property taxes are delinquent, and the payment that is made does not include the interest that has accrued for being late.  Again, to avoid this situation, please make all property tax payments before they are past due and delinquent.

Q: If I have sold the property that I received a property tax bill for, what should I do?
A:  You should forward the property tax bill to the new owner unless you are going to pay it.  Agreements that are made between buyers, sellers, and attorneys are not our concern.  However, since property taxes are a lien on real property, it is in the buyers best interest to make sure all property taxes are settled before the property is purchased at closing.

Q: Can I make a payment over the phone or internet?
A:  Credit card payments are accepted through our third party partner, PAYPAL.  There is a nominal fee charged for this service.  The payment will be posted to the account within 48 hour. To pay by phone, call 1-855-976-3866, or online, visit

Q: If I have filed for bankruptcy, should I be receiving information about property tax bills?
A: Even though you have filed for bankruptcy, we will continue to send property tax bills for property that is currently owned by you.  We cannot pursue collection actions for delinquent taxes, but regular bills will be sent.  If you do receive delinquent materials from our office, please contact our office so we can verify that your trustee or attorney has forwarded the correct information to our office.  If not, then you may have to contact your attorney for this information to be submitted

Q: What happens if my taxes become delinquent?
A: Delinquent taxes are subject to all tax collection remedies such as: levy, garnishment of wages, rents, attachment of bank accounts, foreclosures, and/or turning your account over to an outside collection agency.

Q: Are payment plans available to pre-pay my taxes?
A: Bank drafts and payment plans are available to pre-pay taxes. Contact our office for further details at (704) 866-3030.

Q: Are there any Tax Relief programs available?
A: North Carolina laws provide three types of Property Tax Relief for  North Carolina Residents.

•Elderly or Disabled Exclusion
•Disabled Veteran Exclusion
•Circuit Breaker Property Tax Deferment
Contact (704)810-5839 for details.

For any other questions, contact our office.