Breastfeeding Promotion and Support
WIC is here to provide the services and support you need to reach your breastfeeding goals. If you are fully breastfeeding, you are eligible to receive our largest food package up to one year after having your baby. When your baby turns 6 months old, they will be also be eligible to receive a greater amount of baby food. If you are mostly breastfeeding, you are also eligible to receive more food for yourself or your baby up to one year post partum.
Most of our WIC Nutritionists are trained Lactation Educators who can answer your questions about breastfeeding. We also have an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant to help you navigate your breastfeeding journey.
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program
Be sure to enroll in the Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program during pregnancy. She will provide you with helpful breastfeeding information throughout your pregnancy and after your baby is born. Our Peer Counselor is a mom who has breastfed her own babies and is specially trained to help you be successful.
Bring your support person and join other pregnant women in our breastfeeding class. Classes are typically offered twice a month. Please call 704-853-5181 to register for a class.
Breast Pump Loans
If you are planning to return to work or school, we may be able to provide you with an electric breast pump. If your baby is premature or has certain medical conditions, you may qualify for an electric pump loan. Just ask any member of our staff about breast pumps and supplies, and we will be happy to assess your need.
If you have breastfeeding questions, feel free to leave a message on our warmline at 704-853-5181. A member of our breastfeeding team will return your call within one business day.
- USDA WIC Breastfeeding and Support Homepage | WIC Breastfeeding Support (usda.gov)
- North Carolina Community Nutrition Services Section N.C. DHHS: DPH: Nutrition Services Branch: Breastfeeding Promotion and Support
- The US Breastfeeding Committee U.S. Breastfeeding Committee (usbreastfeeding.org)
- The American Academy of Pediatrics Breastfeeding - HealthyChildren.org
- North Carolina Breastfeeding Coalition Resources | NCBC (ncbfc.org)
- La Leche League International Homepage - La Leche League International (llli.org)
- La Leche League USA Home - La Leche League USA (lllusa.org)
- Kelly Mom KellyMom.com Breastfeeding and Parenting