- Health & Human Services
- Human Trafficking
Human trafficking is the use of force, fraud, or coercion to obtain some type of labor or commercial sex act.
We are here to support, protect, and promote change within identified human trafficking survivors. We strive to provide the necessary tools to recognize survivors and promote community awareness, to ensure a safe place for all survivors.
Action Means Purpose Model
Human trafficking occurs when a perpetrator/trafficker persuades, recruits, harbors, transports, provides, and/or obtains by force (making someone do something against his or her will), fraud (false promises in regards to housing, employment, wages, and work environment) or coercion (threats of physical harm or physical restraint against any person or a plan intended to cause a person to believe lack of performance would result in serious harm) for the purpose of commercial sex or labor services.
At a minimum, one of the below from each column is present in human trafficking. The presence of force, fraud, and coercion tells us the victim has not consented by his or her free will.
- Few or no personal items
- Not in control of personal identification documents and funds
- Unexplained items the individual normally cannot afford
- Signs of physical abuse or restraint
- Presence of a controlling person
- Presence of tattoos and other brandings
- Truancy (minor specific)
- Frequently runs away (minor specific)
- Uses an alias (minor specific)
- Works unusually long hours
- Employer provides housing
- Employer holds income
- History of sexual abuse
- History of running away
- Unstable home life
- In foster care
- History of child welfare involvement
- Has an older significant other
- Substance abuse
- Gang involvement
- Social media (creating 'cyber friendships' on Applications such as Snapchat, TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, Grindr, Tinder)
- Making the victim feel as if they are in a relationship with the trafficker
- Showering with gifts
- Use of drugs to entice and ultimately control
- Isolation from family and friends
- Gradually stripping away self esteem, disguised as protection (telling victims what they can and cannot do or say)