The Community Policing Division is overseen by Assistant Chief S. V. Jentsch and is comprised primarily of uniformed officers assigned to one of four squads. Each squad is commanded by a captain. Officers work rotating, twelve-hour shifts and are supervised by a sergeant. The Community Policing Division is responsible for:
- Controlling and preventing crime through regular patrols
- Answering calls for service
- Apprehending offenders
- Enforcing criminal and traffic laws
- Conducting investigations
- Working with the community to solve neighborhood problems
Also included in this Division are the K-9 Unit, community service officers, a seasonal Marine Enforcement Unit, reserve officers and two specialized response units: the Emergency Response Team and the Hazardous Devices Unit.