One of the high watermarks for the Educational Services Unit is its training programs for educators. These programs are designed and taught by unit members on a variety of law enforcement and safety related topics. These programs are also implemented so that educators who attend receive continuing education credits toward renewal of their teaching license. The following programs are currently being offered by the Unit through the Gaston County Schools Staff Development Center:
- Juvenile Gang Awareness - Officer P. E. Burgess
- Drug Usage Trends: LSD and Marijuana - Officer D. B. Osborne
- Drug Usage Trends: Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Heroin - Officer D. B. Osborne
- Domestic Violence in Student Relationships - Officer J. E. Paysour
- Court Case Preparation - Officer D. B. Rogers
- School Police K-9 Operations - Officer R. L. Steer
- School Safety and Violence Overview (See Note) - Captain W. S. Melton
- Hazardous Devices Training - Sergeant C. W. McCants
Note: All newly hired certified personnel must attend training on School Safety and Violence as part of their initial training.
Also, all newly hired or promoted principals and assistant principals must attend a class on the use of the school resource officer. This course is taught by Sergeant C. W McCants.