Halloween Safety Recommendations
The Gaston County Police Department has compiled a list of safety precautions to consider while preparing to celebrate a safe and happy Halloween:
- Use flame resistant costumes. Make sure all costumes and accessories are made of flame resistant material. Commercially manufactured costumes and accessories should be labeled flame resistant.
- Make sure costumes are brightly colored or at least have reflective markings to make them visible to motorists. Reflective tape can be used to trim costumes and treat bags.
- Costumes should fit properly to avoid the occasion of tripping and falling. If using a mask, make sure it fits properly and holes large enough for mouth and eyes.
- When using a toy firearm with a costume, make sure the toy gun has an orange tip on the end of the barrel.
- Have children carry a flashlight while trick or treating.
- Parents should accompany children, especially small children, while they are trick or treating.
- Give and accept wrapped or packaged candy only.
- Children should only accept treats from people they know.
- Warn children to have an adult examine all treats before they are eaten.
- This information is available as a video announcement on the Government Access Channel 16.