Filing an Assumed Name
When starting a business, it is advisable to record your business name with the Register of Deeds office. Such business names are referred to as assumed names and may be recorded in the Register of Deeds office. Individuals starting a business may obtain the necessary form needed to record the name by stopping in our office, by mail or online:
- Assumed Business Name Certificate Instructions
- Assumed Business Name Certificate Form
- Amendment of Assumed Business Name Certificate
- Withdrawal of Assumed Name Certificate
- Fee for recording is $26.00
Our office handles filing for sole proprietorships, partnerships, and corporations doing business under an assumed name. Meanwhile, the Department of Secretary of State oversees the incorporation of businesses.
Another resource for starting businesses is the Business License Information Office located in the NC Department of Commerce Business Service Center.