Don't Overpay for Copies of Your Recorded Deed
Susan S. Lockridge, Gaston County Register of Deeds
The office of the Gaston County Register of Deeds has been informed that homeowners have recently been receiving notices from private companies offering to retrieve a copy of their deed and other property information upon payment of a “processing fee” of $86.00. This is a reminder that a copy of your recorded deed can be easily obtained from the Gaston County Register of Deeds office at a fraction of the cost.
- You have the right to get a copy of your recorded deed from the county office without employing a private service or paying a processing fee.
- The usual cost for a certified copy of a recorded deed from the Register of Deeds office is $3.00 for the first page and $2.00 each additional page. An uncertified copy may be purchased for less than $2.00.
- Don’t be persuaded by official-looking mailers. If your deed has been recorded in the Register of Deeds office, the recording is valid whether or not you have a copy in your possession.
- To determine whether your deed is recorded in the Register of Deeds office, visit Gaston County Register of Deeds online records at www.gastongov.com or visit our office and use the free public viewing terminals to view the actual document image on file.
- Property Records are available for inspection, copying and certification at the Gaston County Register of Deeds office. We have staff that will be glad to assist you in this process. If you have any questions please contact our Deed room at 704-862-7684.